California Green Business Program
The California Green Business Program leads the state and nation in working with small to medium sized businesses to grow a vibrant and healthy green economy. Led by a coalition of cities and counties, we contribute to more livable communities with healthier environments, while also conserving resources and saving money.
The California Green Business Program is a network of local programs operated by counties and cities throughout California. Businesses that apply receive personal attention from the public agencies and utilities that serve them. The program is funded by grass-roots contributions from local government and utility partners to make it accessible to small to medium sized businesses in California. Certified Green Businesses exceed all environmental regulations, and implement specific practices to reduce pollution, save water and energy, and protect human health.
The goal of our incentive and assistance programs is to help local businesses conserve energy, water, minimize waste, prevent pollution, and shrink their carbon footprints.
The measured results of all 3000+ California Green Businesses put together nets some huge environmental outcomes:
- Over 800,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions reduced, the equivalent of planting over 40,000 urban acres of trees a year for ten years.
- Enough kilowatt-hours saved to power 25,000 houses for an entire year.
- Over 400,000 metric tons of waste diverted from the landfill, almost 60,000 garbage trucks worth of waste – eliminated
- 124 million gallons of water saved – a lot of toilets and shower heads folks!
- Over 28,000 gallons of hazardous waste eliminated.